Tuesday, December 12, 2017

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/after-further-review-packers-vs-browns-133

I really enjoy reading Ross' "after further review" blogs because he provides such a good perspective. Plus his use of NFL GamePass and opinions regarding his observations are valuable to me.  I concur 100% with Ross on Hundley.  I will never understand why some fans on cheeseheadTV were so critical of Hundley because they expected him to do well...they did a poor job of managing their own expectations which caused a bias of sorts IMO...regardless, I figured Hundley would have some serious struggles at times...AR12 did his 1st season as a starter.  3-4 isn't bad as a back-up!

Hundley's home/road performance splits continue to just boggle my mind.  

That's another comment by Ross and I definitely concur it's mind boggling!

Ross believes the Browns game was Josh Jones' best game.  Maybe it was...certainly one of his best games during his rookie season.  I think deep safety is a work in progress for him but he definitely came through in the OT with his athletic ability to jump for the ball and secure the interception.  I could be wrong but I think he's the first safety since Nick Collins to have 4.4 speed?  Jones could become a special talent and defensive playmaker...my hope anyway.  I would ensure he's one of the 11 defensive players on-field.  HHCD too.

Damarious Randall is making a Davante Adams-level jump in year 3

I know lots of people expect players to make that 2nd year jump and when they don't (for whatever reason) fans sometimes are too quick to judge and start saying "bust...etc.".  I think players, specifically drafted players, need to be allotted the 3-4 years of their rookie contract to develop.  By year four, you should know what you've got with the player.  If they're just a solid ST player, so be it because those guys are needed too.

With Randall, two things have held him back in the past...injuries (2016) and bad attitude and unwillingness to accept accountability.  He appears to have overcome these obstacles at-this-time (ATT) and that's a great sign in his development.  He really is talented and I think he's they type of defensive back that can play any position back there to include centerfield.

Blake Martinez is a Pro Bowler.

Unfortunately there's only so many MLB/ILB spots on the Pro Bowl roster.  I think the two benchmark guys are Luke Kuechly and Bobby Wagner...and not sure if they select three.  Blake Martinez has certainly solidified his spot as the main ILB on the Packers.  What I don't know is if he's got the headset to receive the play calls.

Davante Adams is the team's MVP post-Rodgers injury.

The only thing Davante doesn't have is really good speed.  His footwork/foot quickness is exceptional.  His short area quickness is exceptional.  His spin-move phenomenal!  The Packers will be paying him...they know it, and he knows it...it's just a matter of time.  I don't know if he's a top 10 WR but he's clearly the Packers #1 and I think he's destined for being their next WR with triple digit catches in a season.  ...so maybe he is a top 10 WR.  All I know is they need to extend him soon.

As I mentioned before, Clay's next contract probably won't be at the $13.2 Million AAV level, but he's still a useful part of the defense.

CM3 is still their most disruptive and main playmakers when he's healthy.  I concur his next contract won't have such high cap numbers...his contract was/is backloaded with high base salary so maybe renegotiation always was the intent?  Clay might not be able to play 16 games in as season but he'll be able to play the majority of them and he is a playmaker!  I also think he's got a lot of gas left in his tank and needs to stay in a roving LB role...he's still their best LB. 

I concur with Ross regarding his assessment of the DL.  I like the five they have but don't really know what Montravious Adams is capable of yet.  I do think they can employ a solid three DL alignment with Lowry as the 3rd guy.  Lowry is a DE/5-technique type player though and will get washed vs the double-team.  The more I see of Kenny Clark the more impressed I am with him. 

They desperately need that 3rd Edge pass rusher...and concur about Brooks.  Maybe his back is still a significant issue for him...who knows, but I agree I haven't seen much from him either.  I'm back to being on the fence regarding Fackrell but also need temper my expectations of him too. I think he's going to be a Rover LB type that needs a schemed pass rush to succeed but also appears to be very aware of where the ball is and has been involved in some turnover plays.  He is a good ST player.

Jamaal Williams is becoming a valuable workhorse and quite productive to boot.  I can't say enough positive things about him and he's definitely exceeded my expectations.  He's making #30 proud. 

If the Packers get more offensive snaps to play with then I'm sure Aaron Jones will benefit from it.  He definitely has a different style of play vs Jamaal Williams and will hopefully get some more touches in the future.  Hot hand wins.


  1. CM3
  2. Mike Daniels
  3. Kenny Clark
  4. Nick Perry
  5. Blake Martinez
  6. Josh Jones
  7. HHCD
  8. Damarious Randall
  9. Kevin King / Boundary CB
  10. Morgan Burnett
  11. ??? DL/LB/DB ???
Right now I don't know who that 11th defender should be because it's situational dependent whether they need to play nickle or dime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment