Tuesday, December 12, 2017

12.12.17 musings on PackersNews post-game grades


  • Hundley probably could be given a higher grade vs what PackersNews.com assigned.
  • Jamaal Williams is proving to be quite the combined rush/pass yards threat with his 3rd consecutive triple-digit yards game?  He's a workhorse that can easily handle 20+ touches/gm but isn't as explosive as Aaron Jones
  • The OL definitely had some problems vs the Browns so the C+ is OK by me.
  • The TE's grade of C- is also OK by me.  I'm hoping they can convert 6'6 basketball player Michael Clark into a TE or hybrid WR/TE
  • Davante Adams definitely deserves an A or A+ and he received great support from Jordy & Cobb, plus it was nice to see GMo get some action and produce in the short passing game.  I'm not sure how much $$$ Davante is going to get but he looks like a #1 WR in this offense so I say pay the man!
  • Defense gave up 21 points which should be enough...and it was.
  • The DL was average so I concur with the C grade.  However, I do think that Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels are becoming a very disruptive duo on the inside which allows them to only play two true DL.  However, when it's not one of those two, then the DL has issues.  I think I'd use more three DL with Lowry vs 2nd ILB with Ryan.
  • The LBs combined grade of C is probably fair but I think CM3 individually earned high marks, possibly an A for his sack and then the hit on Kizer's arm which forced the interception.
  • The CBs held Josh Gordon during the second half.  I'm very happy for Damarious Randell that he's playing so well.  He probably has the best hands in the secondary and IMO he could play centerfield because of his ball skills and range.  
  • The safeties, specifically HHCD and Josh Jones, played very well and I've thought that the position was the strongest on defense and key reason they consistently play three of them together -- Burnett, HHCD, and Josh Jones.  I recently read a comment by somebody regarding this game vs the Browns was Josh Jones' best game.  Maybe...certainly one of his best this season in pass coverage and the interception/jump ball was a terrific play.  Josh Jones is obviously very talented and I think he'll soon be our #2, if not #1 safety...which brings me to HHCD who made an outstanding interception near the end of the first half.  I've read lots of comments on CheeseHeadTV regarding HHCD's regression in 2017 and yes his numbers do indicate decreased production but I don't think the numbers drop is significant.  HHCD's responsibility has mainly been to play deep, sometimes single-high (not his strong suite) and sometimes two-deep (he can cover half the field ok).  HHCD probably has the 2nd best set of hands on defense.  I still think he was a good draft pick and worth his rookie option.
  • The special teams grade of A is spot on.  STs generated several big plays but Trevor Davis' individual effort on his 65 yard punt return was fun to watch!  I don't think there's anything wrong with having two WRs that are basically on the team for their ST skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment